How to Get Your AZ Driver’s License as a New Resident

Third Party DMV

Moving to another state means packing boxes, loading the truck and dealing with motor vehicle departments. Change of address is straightforward in Arizona and obtaining your new driver’s license will be handled with ease. Before you can truly settle in as a resident in the Grand Canyon State, you’ll need to situate your information on your driver’s license and vehicle registration immediately upon moving in. GG&D is a third-party MVD with offices across the greater Phoenix area that will help you apply for a new driver’s license.

How Long Can I Wait to Establish Residency?

Arizona is unique in that the state requires you to get your MVD address change immediately upon establishing residency. You can consider yourself a resident-to-be if you plan to live in Arizona for seven consecutive months, register to vote, work within the state or run a business. Schedule time during the week you move in to visit a GG&D office to process the paperwork to make your residency official.

Documents for an Arizona Driver’s License

As you plan to receive your Arizona driver’s license, do note that you will have to visit a physical motor vehicle department rather than handle the process online. With federal regulations requiring an eligible form of identification needed for travel, we will help set you up with Travel ID. However, keep in mind that a Travel ID denotation on your license is optional IF you have another form of federal identification, such as a passport book or card. You can still apply for a standard credential. The Arizona Department of Transportation offers resources for new residents moving in. When you stop by, have a few documents on hand:

  • Proof of identity (birth certificate U.S. passport, military ID card, etc.)
  • Proof of social security number
  • A completed AZ Driver’s License application (you can also fill one out at our office)
  • Current and valid driver’s license from your previous state, if applicable
    Two proofs of address

If your name on your proof of identity does not match the one on your driver’s license or ID card, you’ll need additional documents proving your name change. All of these documents will keep the process smooth and everything in order. Our driver license and identification page will give you all the details you need.

Car Registration Process

While undergoing the driver’s license process, you will also be required to register your car within the state. This can be handled at the same time you’re visiting to update your license. Make sure to bring:

  • Proof of ownership (car title)
  • If vehicle is financed they need o/s registration

You may also be required to complete an emissions test, which can be handled at If you need more time to complete your car registration, Arizona will provide you with a temporary car registration for up to 30 days to get yourself situated.

GG&D Motor Vehicle Services has offices in Phoenix, Mesa and Glendale to help you get the process over with much sooner in a short amount of time. Convenience and efficiency are our specialties in getting customers in and out sooner to get settled into their new home state and finish moving.


GG&D provides complete full service vehicle registration & title services. Driver License & ID Services available at all GG&D locations.


GG&D Motor Vehicle Services, LLC was a founding member of the 3rd Party Motor Vehicle Association. We offer vehicle title transfers, license plate replacement, motor vehicle registration, duplicate titles, notary services, temporary permits and other MVD Arizona services. GG&D has locations in Phoenix, Glendale, and Mesa. Find a location near you!

Based on 5926 reviews
powered by Google
Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top

¡Lamentamos mucho que haya tenido una mala experiencia con nosotros !

¿Estaría dispuesto a compartir detalles de su experiencia para que podamos hacer todo lo posible para corregirla?

We are so sorry you had a bad experience with us!

Would you be willing to share details of your experience so we can do our best to correct it?