How To Get A Handicap Placard In Arizona

Did you know that about 12.6% of the population in Arizona has disabilities? 

Having access to parking is crucial for those who have disabilities. If you are wondering if you qualify for an Arizona disabled parking permit, you’ve come to the right place. We are going to tell about a few things that you need to know about this program before you decide to park in a designated spot with just your regular license plate.

Not only will you need to qualify, but you will also need to apply for this parking option properly. For example, while you may think that getting someone to just sign a form declaring you disabled is enough, it is not.

If you want to learn more about how to get a handicap placard or plate in Arizona, just continue reading.

What Is a Disabled Placard?

Parking can be stressful if you are a person with disabilities. You don’t want to have to worry about finding a parking spot. A disabled placard will allow you to park in specific areas that are closer to the entrance of the building. 

If you qualify you’ll get a placard that you can place on the dashboard of your car or hang from your rearview mirror. You may also request a specific license plate that is designated as a disabled plate. 

How to Get a Disabled Parking Placard or Plate in AZ

The only way to receive a placard or plate in AZ is to apply for it. There are many benefits of disabled placards so you don’t want to wait to apply. It will make your life easier and you won’t have to stress about leaving your house. 

It’s important to remember that the process can take time, especially if you are applying for a replacement. Renewing disabled placards may take up to four weeks, so it’s crucial that you keep up with it. 

Keep in mind that not all disabilities and conditions are visible. Temporary placards are often given to women after they give birth. 

Who Is Eligible for Disabled Placard or Plate?

There are several conditions that will qualify you for a disabled placard in AZ. There are temporary and permanent placards available as well. If you’re injured in an accident, you may apply for a placard. A few handicap plate requirements include: 

  • lung disease 
  • cardiac condition 
  • unable to walk 200 feet without rest
  • need assistance walking (crutch, wheelchair, brace, or another person)
  • some chronic diseases and pain

Keep in mind that placards can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. If you have a disability and you are riding in a car with a friend or family member, you can take your placard with you so you don’t have to walk so far. However, if you have a plate, you can’t move it to another vehicle even if you’re riding in it. 

Guidelines for Veterans with Disabilities

If you’re a veteran, your application process is similar to other people who have disabilities. However, if you’re applying you’ll need to get a representative from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

If you choose to send the application in by mail, you’ll need to include a copy of your driver’s license. If you opt for a personalized plate, there may be extra fees. You’ll need to reapply for a new placard every one to two years or if your driver’s license expires. 

How to Apply for Disabled Placard/Plate

Applying for a disabled placard or plate isn’t a difficult process. It’s the same whether you’re applying for a temporary or permanent one.

You’ll need to fill out the 96-0104 form from the Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles. You’ll need to know your car’s VIN number and the form will ask you about your conditions too. 

You’ll then need to fill out the form and have it signed by a medical professional. Here are a few examples of people who can sign the document: 

  • Licensed physician
  • Chiropractor
  • Hospital Administrator 
  • Physician’s assistant
  • Advanced Nurse Practitioner

Unfortunately, Arizona doesn’t have an option to submit the form online. You’ll need to either send it by mail or go in person.

At this time there are no fees for obtaining a placard. The state of Arizona will also recognize placards issued by other states, which can be helpful if you’re moving and don’t have a new primary caregiver yet. 

Renewing a Disabled Placard/Plate

If you received a temporary placard, it’s likely it was for six months. If your recovery time is slower than expected and you need another six months placard, you’ll have to fully re-apply. 

For a permanent placard, you’ll need to reapply every five years. There is a specific renewal form and there will be a $5 fee. Typically replacing your placard doesn’t cost you anything and if there is a fee it will be a small one.

How to Get a Handicap Placard

If you have a physical impairment that prevents you from driving, it can be difficult to get around the Grand Canyon State. For this reason, the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) created the Transportation for Disabled Persons program.

You shouldn’t have to worry about finding a parking spot or having to walk from the back of the parking lot when you go to the store. Getting to the DMV can also be challenging because of their limited hours and long wait times.

If you need help learning how to get a handicap placard or plate, get started here. We have helped many people with disabilities and we can help you too.


GG&D provides complete full service vehicle registration & title services. Driver License & ID Services available at all GG&D locations.


GG&D Motor Vehicle Services, LLC was a founding member of the 3rd Party Motor Vehicle Association. We offer vehicle title transfers, license plate replacement, motor vehicle registration, duplicate titles, notary services, temporary permits and other MVD Arizona services. GG&D has locations in Phoenix, Glendale, and Mesa. Find a location near you!

Based on 5426 reviews
powered by Google
Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top

¡Lamentamos mucho que haya tenido una mala experiencia con nosotros !

¿Estaría dispuesto a compartir detalles de su experiencia para que podamos hacer todo lo posible para corregirla?

We are so sorry you had a bad experience with us!

Would you be willing to share details of your experience so we can do our best to correct it?