A suburb of Phoenix, Arizona, the city of Chandler is located in Maricopa County, Arizona, in the United States. It shares borders with Tempe to the north and west, Mesa to the north, Phoenix to the west, the Gila River Indian Community to the south, and Gilbert to the east. The United States Census Bureau projected the population to be 261,165 as of 2019.
The community of Chandler is expanding and has a lot to offer. It is the perfect fusion of family-friendly and multicultural living environments thanks to its award-winning school district and vibrant downtown area. Even though it is situated in one of the areas of the country that is expanding the fastest, the downtown area, which is built around a central square known as Dr. A.J. Chandler Park, has kept much of its historic charm. The metropolis has expanded exponentially, but it has now reached its limit. As a result, there will be a major reduction in new development and, subsequently, population growth. The Ostrich Festival, Indian Market, Tumbleweed Tree Lighting Ceremony, and Cinco de Mayo Chihuahua Races are just a few of the annual events that bring locals together to share a variety of extraordinary and delightful experiences.
The first veterinarian in Arizona Territory, Dr. Alexander John Chandler, relocated to a ranch south of Mesa in 1891 to pursue his interest in irrigation engineering. He was Arizona Territory’s first veterinarian. He started drawing up plans for a townsite on what was then known as the Chandler Ranch after purchasing 18,000 acres of land. He passed away that year. In May 1912, the townsite office first opened its doors.
Aerial image of the former townsite, which was bounded on the east by Hamilton Street and on the west by Galveston Street, Frye Road, and Hartford Street. The first grass golf course in the state debuted in 1915 at the Hotel San Marcos, which was part of the town center that had been established by 1913. In 1914, Chandler High School started welcomed students. On February 16, 1920, Chandler was incorporated as a city as a result of a petition signed by 186 residents asking the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors to approve incorporation. The town’s founder, Dr. A.J. Chandler, was chosen to serve as both the first mayor and the head of the town’s first Town Council.